[NIFL-FAMILY:613] RE: Documenting and Measuring PACT Time

From: Jon Lee (jlee@famlit.org)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 08:54:32 EST

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:54:32 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jon Lee" <jlee@famlit.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:613] RE: Documenting and Measuring PACT Time

Meta writes:

"Now, I have a concern about how that PACT Time is documented and measured.
Jon Lee mentioned that in Colorado the impact was measurable.  What
instruments were used?  What outcomes were reported?"

Each family who was eligible for our family literacy program (Even Start) and in K-5th grade was identified for our "accelerated reading recovery" program. Our measurable outcomes came from that program and the daily monitoring of children's progress in reading, using TerraNova Reading © Author: CTB McGraw-Hill (1996), and in writing-using a portfolio system.

With the parents on site we were able to modify the typical reading recovery session to include them on an everyday basis. As reading recovery has a "transfer to home" aspect the children received double the help!

More info on reading recovery available at ERIC: EDO-CS-95-09 June 1995, ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading, English, and Communication Digest #106

Jon