[NIFL-FAMILY:603] PACT in School-Based

From: Laura Bercovitz (LBercovitz@irc-desplaines.org)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 19:43:48 EST

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:43:48 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Laura Bercovitz" <LBercovitz@irc-desplaines.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:603] PACT in School-Based

------=_NextPart_000_00B7_01C19A05.2F45C4A0

Before the week ends, I did want to address the PACT activities as they
relate to a school-aged family literacy program.  Jane Meyer wrote about her
program and how well coordinated the PACT activities were to the classroom
lessons.  In our program we had difficulty reaching into all the classrooms
because of the large grade range and we were working in multiple schools.
In addition we were working with ESOL families and although many of the
children spoke English, most of the parents were non or very limited
speakers.  We also wanted the parents to take a leadership role in learning
with their children.

We decided to focus on "the enjoyment of books" such as wordless books. In
this way we were able to have families work in their first language in
either orally telling a story or writing it down. There are many wordless
books out their that have complex stories and hold the attention of both
adults and older children.  One author is David Wiesner.  Some of his books
are low or no texts stories, often "science fiction" in content such as:
June 29, 1999 or Tuesday.  Ask your local librarian for a list.

We also worked with books that were "games" that parents and children could
play.  Tona Hoban has a book Look! Look! Look! which has you trying to
identify a picture from small part that is exposed.  the I Spy books were a
big hit.

Another activity was sequencing pictures and then telling or writing a
story.

Anyone else have "generic" PACT ideas for families with older school-aged
children?

Laura

------=_NextPart_000_00B7_01C19A05.2F45C4A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DWindows-1252">
6.0.4417.0">
<TITLE>PACT in School-Based</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Before the week ends, I did want to address the PACT =
activities as they relate to a school-aged family literacy =
program.&nbsp; Jane Meyer wrote about her program and how well =
coordinated the PACT activities were to the classroom lessons.&nbsp; In =
our program we had difficulty reaching into all the classrooms because =
of the large grade range and we were working in multiple schools.&nbsp; =
In addition we were working with ESOL families and although many of the =
children spoke English, most of the parents were non or very limited =
speakers.&nbsp; We also wanted the parents to take a leadership role in =
learning with their children.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We decided to focus on &quot;the enjoyment of =
books&quot; such as wordless books. In this way we were able to have =
families work in their first language in either orally telling a story =
or writing it down. There are many wordless books out their that have =
complex stories and hold the attention of both adults and older =
children.&nbsp; One author is David Wiesner.&nbsp; Some of his books are =
low or no texts stories, often &quot;science fiction&quot; in content =
such as:&nbsp; June 29, 1999 or Tuesday.&nbsp; Ask your local librarian =
for a list.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We also worked with books that were &quot;games&quot; =
that parents and children could play.&nbsp; Tona Hoban has a book Look! =
Look! Look! which has you trying to identify a picture from small part =
that is exposed.&nbsp; the I Spy books were a big hit.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Another activity was sequencing pictures and then =
telling or writing a story.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Anyone else have &quot;generic&quot; PACT ideas for =
families with older school-aged children?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Laura</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>