[NIFL-FAMILY:1148] RE: Issues between students

From: Virginia Tardaewether (tarv@exchange.chemeketa.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 12:54:07 EDT

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Virginia Tardaewether <tarv@exchange.chemeketa.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1148] RE: Issues between students

Colleen

I would suggest that you talk to both of them.  Have them put their family
before this issue, their children before this issue.  During parenting one
wears the Parent Hat.  See if there is a way you can turn it into a learning
situation:  how they can help their children work through a similiar
situation.  We all run into people we don't care for, but we often have to
work with them.  How does one do that successfully?  Also, be certain to
establish ground rules for parent group and for your program.  Have all the
students make the rules and agree to them.  Follow the rules

In family literacy, or any classroom, one can have rival gang members or
divorced couples, etc.  One needs to work out ways to deal with
disagreements.  I would also suggest that you look at the Equipped for the
Future information onResolve Conflict and Negotiate.

Persist
Va

Virginia Tardaewether

Chemeketa {Place of Peace}