[NIFL-FAMILY:1079] Re: Parents as first teachers

From: Tracie Janis (tracie_lit@riverside.lib.ca.us)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 13:23:55 EDT

Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 13:23:55 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tracie Janis" <tracie_lit@riverside.lib.ca.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1079] Re: Parents as first teachers

Colleen, I agree with you. When my oldest started kindergarten, my husband I
attended the kindergarten orientation for parents. I was not impressed. The
principal basically took the time to review the kindergarten standards.
Everyone there had a blank look on their faces, including myself. He then
proceeded to hand out the standards and I thought to myself, I'm sure these
parents have no clue what these standards mean, let alone have the ability
to read them.  It wasn't a great experience and I didn't feel I had been
"oriented" at all.

During our intake process with our parents, we discuss comfort level of
parents involvement with their children's schools.  Many of them are
terrified and have had awful experiences themselves that they are very
reluctant to get involved.

I too am a mother of three children, all under the age of 8. I am very
sympathetic to our family literacy parents.  I think that an orientation is
a great approach. In my job as Adult Literacy Coordinator, I try to meet the
needs of our students in a variety of ways. We have held parenting workshops
here at the library and our parents are relieved that they have a forum to
share their frustrations and also have the opportunity to learn some new
skills.

Tracie

Tracie Janis, Literacy Program Coordinator
Riverside County Library Adult Literacy Program
Literacy Program Headquarters
9244 Galena St
Riverside, CA 92509
(909) 685-6901  Fax (909)685-3856
tracie_lit@riverside.lib.ca.us <mailto:tracie_lit@riverside.lib.ca.us>
http://www.riverside.lib.ca.us/literacy
"Tutors Change the World One Student at a Time"