[NIFL-FAMILY:959] Re: Clips and Cross Posts

From: Vanessa Vaile (vcrary@uswest.net)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 09:42:17 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:42:17 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Vanessa Vaile <vcrary@uswest.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:959] Re: Clips and Cross Posts

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate Jon's clips & cross posts. And thanks
to the great responses to my question on tech & PACT.  I am still climbing the
learning curve here... often huffing & puffing as I go along.

I have been teaching too long not to have reservations about  "Testing for
Results" &  testing myths--  wish the view were more balanced.  The more
complex the skill, the less quantifiable.  Tests are useful tools best used
understanding their limitations and coldly realizing that test taking is a
life skill in todays today's world-- but can lull adminstrators, educators &
parents into a false sense of security (we're testing; we're crunching the
numbers: we have a handle on learning)  Thesiren-call charm of testing should
carry a warning label.  I wonder if there are any long range studies tracking
post-school life successes of successful test-takers.

Vanessa Vaile
Mountainair NM