[NIFL-FAMILY:872] RE: Literacy for homeless families?

From: Ellie Macfarlane (macfarl@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 17:10:11 EST

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:10:11 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ellie Macfarlane <macfarl@indiana.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:872] RE: Literacy for homeless families?

Dear Nancy,

A couple of years ago I read an article in the Los Angeles Times about
School on Wheels (an independent, non-profit organization) that helps
homeless students, and just came across it again today.

According to the article, "every week night 575 tutors drive to 38 shelters
across the county to help children whose homelessness often prevents them
from getting the academic help they need." In 2000 School on Wheels
established their first permanent classroom at LA Family Housing Corp's
transitional living center in North Hollywood. They list a phone number for
more information -- 310-589-2642.

If you'd like a copy of the article, send me your snail-mail address, and
I'll mail you one.

Ellie Macfarlane

At 06:43 PM 3/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>      That's just one trade-off in the many factors that can make or break
>a program, huh?
>
> Thanks!
> Nancy
>

> In a message dated 3/12/2002 8:50:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>tarv@exchange.chemeketa.edu writes:
>

> Nancy
> Is there any way you could ask your homeless families what sort of design
> would work for them?
> Va
>

> Virginia Tardaewether
>
> Chemeketa {Place of Peace}