[NIFL-FAMILY:828] Passing of Susan Green

From: Jon Lee (jlee@famlit.org)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 22:27:28 EST

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:27:28 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jon Lee" <jlee@famlit.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:828] Passing of Susan Green

It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Susan Green,
writer and editor at the Institute and long-time advocate for literacy, on
February 25th.  Susan's career included nearly a decade at the National
Institute for Literacy, 12 years with the Follow Through early literacy
program at the U.S. Department of Education, and several years on the White
House staff of First Lady Barbara Bush.  Mrs. Bush said of Susan:

"Susan Green was one of my mentors in literacy.  She was there with me in
the beginning, when few people were really paying attention to literacy.
She was passionate about it, and would have personally taught every single
man, woman, and child in America how to read if she could have.  She was a
dear friend, a warm and loving person. She will be missed by me and all who
knew her."

A Susan Green Memorial Fund is being established to benefit at VALUE (Voice
of Adult Literacy United for Education).  Susan was a central and
irreplaceable part of the National Institute for Literacy, and is deeply
missed.

-- Staff of the National Institute for Literacy
www.nifl.gov/lincs