[NIFL-FAMILY:1294] Re: firstfind.info

From: Ted Rohling (tedr@instructors.net)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 08:25:32 EDT

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:25:32 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ted Rohling" <tedr@instructors.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1294] Re: firstfind.info

David,

I find the site to be an interesting collection of information but I agree
that it might be very difficult for low literacy people to use.  I went into
the site looking for things people might want to know.  The education area
deals with reading and was not for a beginner.  The medical care area had a
great looking set of information and one piqued my interest.  It was the one
that talked about medical care for immigrants:

Topic>Health>Medical Care>Understanding Medical Care in the US

The caption says:
Written for immigrants, this site provides an overview of medical care in
the United States, including vision and dental care and immunization
information.

I opened the site and began to read.  I, too, did a reading level analysis
on the first page and it was at grade 12.  The Emergencies page was also
written at grade 12 and MS Word picked up a few grammar errors.  The
sentences are long and complex which make them difficult for the beginning
reader to put together.  Given that most college graduates are reading at
grade 12 or lower, I would say that these pages and those associated with it
are really not for beginners or intermediate readers.  This is not really
written for immigrants unless they have substantial education.

I found another location that was more to the point.  Topics>Housing>Renting
had a section from the Boston ESOL classes that was appropriate because it
was written by participants and was much easier to read and more practical.
It does have a regional flavor.  The abbreviations used to describe
different housing settings in newspapers vary from locale to locale and may
not be useful for everyone.

I do not discount the value of the collection of information.  The usability
for lower level readers is in doubt.  That is probably why the previous
comments said that the pages are good for teachers.  The pages have great
information and can be used as a resource.

Just my opinion....

Ted Rohling