[NIFL-FAMILY:1249] FW: Celebrating Labor and Literacy Days

From: Jon Lee (jlee@famlit.org)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 07:10:50 EDT

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:10:50 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jon Lee" <jlee@famlit.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1249] FW: Celebrating Labor and Literacy Days

From: Thomas Sticht [tsticht@znet.com]

  August 19, 2002

  Celebrating Labor and International Literacy Days in September 2002

  Thomas G. Sticht
  International Consultant in Adult Education

  On September 2nd,  our nation honors America’s workforce and celebrates
  Labor Day.   Later that week, on September 8th, the U. S. and the rest of
  the world celebrates International Literacy Day.

  Labor and literacy have a close, historical connection in adult literacy
  education in the United States.  In 1911, Cora Wilson Stewart,
  Superintendent of Schools  in Rowan county, Kentucky,  called together a
  group  of teachers and explained a plan for holding classes on moonlit
  nights to teach the rural laborers, farmers and their families of the area
  to read, write, and  calculate. On Labor Day, September 4th, 1911 the
  teachers went out into the highways and byways to gather in to school all
  the adults who wanted to learn. The next night, September 5th, the first
  classes in what became known as the Moonlight Schools of Kentucky opened.
  That night some 1200 rural, working folk of Rowan county , aged 18  to
  86, made their way through streams, over mountains and across hollows to
  begin their studies in the basic skills. Thus, was basic skills education
  brought to the rural workforce of America’s mountaineers and miners of
  Appalachia.

  In 1917, when the United States entered World War I, materials produced by
  Stewart for the Moonlight schools were adapted to teach reading, writing
  and arithmetic skills to tens of thousands of the new fighting forces of
  the first mechanized Army in U. S. history.  These materials used the
  experiences of the adult’s everyday life and their work to teach the basic
  skills.

  Later, during the Great Depression of the 1930s, and with the backing of a
  number of industry, business, and labor unions, the Civilian Conservation
  Corps was formed and  once again basic literacy skills education was
  provided for millions  of  individuals in America’s work force to help
  them adapt  to the increased demands for such skills as the nation moved
  further out of the agrarian into the industrial age.

  During World War II and up to the present, workforce basic skills
  educators have taught America’s work force to read, write, and compute
  using the "real world," functional materials that help them rapidly become
  work ready and able to find, keep and advance in a good job.

  On the first Monday of September each year, Labor Day, we celebrate our
  nation’s labor force. On each September 8th, we join with the rest of the
  world and celebrate International Literacy Day. This year, lets join our
  celebration of these two days in recognition of the tens of millions of
  adults who have labored to access to the world of print and knowledge to
  advance the economic and social well being of themselves, their families
  and their communities.

  Workers of the World…Read!