[NIFL-FAMILY:1197] Re: retention rate

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 17:28:02 EDT

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:28:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1197] Re: retention rate

At 05:28 AM 06/24/2002 -0400, robbinsac@att.net wrote:
>Hello
>Could you give me more information about how your
>program funds childcare and transportation.

In our case, we are affiliated with a Head Start program, and they pick up
the cost of the buses and bus drivers for Head Start classrooms. We pay for
an additional bus driver from the Even Start grant. Child care is built in
to the grant, in that we have an Infant/Toddler classroom in addition to
the two Head Start classrooms. So it isn't just child care, but quality
early childhood education, even for babies and toddlers.

It may be possible to collaborate with a K-12 district, Head Start, or
Early Intervention program in your area. When we didn't have enough
reliable transportation, our program definitely suffered. We got as
creative as possible, with moms who drive giving rides to others, etc., but
we still fell short, and it was a constant energy drain. As for good child
care, if you don't have it, people either won't come or will bring their
children anyway and try to keep them with them in the classroom, which is
disruptive to everyone, including the children.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  sylvan@cccchs.org
Clackamas County Children's Commission
Portland, OR USA