[NIFL-FAMILY:1177] Re: Low Level High Interest Novels

From: Dana Eness (eness@leh.org)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 17:45:44 EDT

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:45:44 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Dana Eness <eness@leh.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1177] Re: Low Level High Interest Novels

Andrea,

We do this with our family reading program, PRIME TIME FAMILY READING TIME.
 Children aged 6 to 10 must be accompanied by an adult (parent,
grandparent, guardian, aunt, uncle, neighbor's parent, etc) to the weekly
sessions.  Each week, three beautifully illustrated children's books are
presented by a storyteller, and then a humanities scholar leads discussion
on the universal themes (greed, dreams, fairness) that evening's books
contain.  The parents do not felt humiliated or talked down to because the
scholar is talking about the themes in an open-ended way that taps into ANY
age (eg. What did you dream about when you were little?  What do you dream
about now?  How have your dreams changed?  Do you and your children have
the same dreams for their future? etc.) or educational level.  Yes, it is
hard to find those special scholars that can relate to intergenerational,
emergent reader audiences, and yes, we do provide all scholars,
storytellers and site coordinators with extensive training to adhere to
this model.  But the end product in terms of truly changing attitudes and
behaviors about reading are well worth the effort.

I know that MotherRead/FatherRead's model also centers around a facilitated
discussion for adults around children's literature.  They differ in PRIME
TIME in that their audience is adults only and the facilitators have
different credentials.  Dana

Dana Eness, Assistant Director
PRIME TIME FAMILY READING TIME
Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities
Louisiana Humanities Center/Turners' Hall
938 Lafayette Street,  Suite 300
New Orleans, LA  70113

http://www.leh.org
Tel. 504-523-4352 Ext. 126   1-800-909-7990
Fax  504-529-2358      E-mail:   eness@leh.org