[NIFL-FAMILY:1006] Re: Virginia

From: Ted Rohling (tedr@instructors.net)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 17:20:26 EDT

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:20:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ted Rohling" <tedr@instructors.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1006] Re: Virginia

I work in a classroom where I receive an evalution from each student at
least once a week, if not twice.  These are adults and not children so I
have learned to get a "thick skin" and not worry a lot about the
evaluations.  My performance speaks for itself in the outcomes.

As a parent who has visited school with my children, I know only too well
the disruptive nature for the students and the "evaluation" effect on the
teacher.  If more parents could visit school, the disruption effect would go
away.  The parents would become a welcome part of the day.  In a low
literacy setting, the parents may not be able to visit school, assist or
participate because of work or family obligations.  In other settings, more
participation might be possible.  During my visits, the teacher was very
uneasy and did go into "performance mode".  We had a follow-up discussion of
why I was there, to see my child, and I explained I didn't care how the
class went, I wanted to see how my child was interacting in class.  After a
couple of days, I was just part of the class.  On Friday, I even got to read
a story!

This thread started because of a comment about military parents
participation.  After 10 years of military service, I can tell you all that
the military is different.  They can allow free time for school
participation because they are employed 24 hours a day/365 days of the year.
An hour or two a week to go to school is a good investment when the military
member is obliged to be away from family sometimes for a year or two at a
time.  It is morale issue as well as an investment issue.  Military children
do well because of the family discipline and expectations.  I.E., if your
kid messes up in school, you get to explain it to the "boss".  Not as bad
today as it was in the past but...

Hope this too helps.

Ted