[NIFL-FAMILY:744] Re: Budget Request for Even Start

From: Jeri Levesque (levesqjr@webster.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 14:15:47 EST

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:15:47 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jeri Levesque <levesqjr@webster.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:744] Re: Budget Request for Even Start

--------------03EB16DEDE2134EA46DCDDEB

Tony,

Thank you for the excellent information regarding Even Start budget reductions.
I had a meeting with Susan Neuman and the subject of family literacy came up.
She was not at all enthusiastic about family literacy. Dr. Neuman was very
clear in her criticism of Even Start that the program had yet to show
"meaningful" outcomes associated with early childhood education. She is fully
committed to the Read First program goals and believes that the program design
of family literacy appears to lack a focus on direct instruction--especially in
the areas of language development and emerging literacy. We asked about the
possibility of family literacy programs as venues for the Early Read First
projects. She expressed concern here - noting that only "centers for excellence
that promote cognitive development" would be considered. She was highly
skeptical that Even Start programs qualified here, "Taxpayers deserve results,"

Legislators need solid evidence that the Early Childhood Education component of
Even Start is supportive of the Read First agenda. We need quantitative
findings that demonstrate progress toward the first National Education Goal.
Please recall a study conducted nearly twenty years ago that criticized
America's schools for not effectively promoting good reading instruction. The
title of that report, "Becoming a Nation of Readers" (Anderson, et al)
concluded with a warning that if educators could not determine how to teach
children to read the task would be left open to politicians.

As a profession, we need to analyze family literacy programs and identify clear
literacy learning outcomes that result from sustained engagement with intense
program components. As demonstrated by the slate of nominees for the National
Institute for Literacy Board -- the Bush administration perceives family
literacy from the perspective of how these programs effect the learning
outcomes of young children. If family literacy advances the national education
agenda we need to inform Congress how it works and at what cost it works best.
We need to show literacy learning outcomes if we expect Congress and the
President to "show us the money."  I believe this was the Honorable Senator
William Goodlings' final request to those attending the 2000 NCFL Annual
Conference.

of Missouri's Even Start programs in a search for best practices. I am asking
the staffs to show me what works best - then share their early childhood test
scores, informal language and literacy assessment data, school based reading
scores, and evidence of progress. These findings will be tied to research on
language development and emerging literacy instruction. I am trying to ensure
that program accomplishments are documented and included in the local
evaluation reports. If reading is what really "matters most", and is the first
concern of lawmakers, and if it is a critical attribute of comprehensive family
literacy programs, then it is up to our field to get this message to the
public. I hope never again to see family literacy on a list of programs with
"good intentions but failed to deliver educational results."

Jeri Levesque, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Webster University
Project Director, Missouri Statewide Family Literacy Initiative

--------------03EB16DEDE2134EA46DCDDEB

Tony,
reductions. I had a meeting with Susan Neuman and the subject of family
literacy came up. She was not at all enthusiastic about family literacy.
Dr. Neuman was very clear in her criticism of Even Start that the program
had yet to show "meaningful" outcomes associated with early childhood education.
She is fully committed to the Read First program goals and believes that
the program design of family literacy appears to lack a focus on <u>direct
instruction</u>--especially in the areas of language development and emerging
[...]
we expect Congress and the President to "show us the money."&nbsp; I believe
this was the Honorable Senator William Goodlings' final request to those
attending the 2000 NCFL Annual Conference.
each of Missouri's Even Start programs in a search for best practices.