[NIFL-FAMILY:698] Re: Grief Books

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 19:53:51 EST

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:53:51 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:698] Re: Grief Books

At 11:47 AM 01/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I am in need of some titles and authors of books to help children learn
>about and deal with death and grief.  I am trying to compile a list for a
>family who has requested the information.  Any titles of books for adults
>would also be helpful.

A wonderful local therapist for children of people with cancer has written
a small book called "A Tiny Boat at Sea." It's by Izetta Smith, and I don't
know whether she's actually distributing it other than locally. The book is
more directed at parents to let them know what children need during these
times, but includes language about how to talk to children, how to have
them do art work to express themselves, etc.

If you are interested in this book, let me know, and I can get copies to
you. I believe they are $6, or possibly $6.95.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  sylvan@cccchs.org
Adult Education Teacher and Family Literacy Program Manager
Clackamas County Children's Commission  .  Oregon City, OR USA