[NIFL-FAMILY:593] FW:

From: Brenda Logan (blogan@famlit.org)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 07:53:32 EST

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:53:32 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Brenda Logan" <blogan@famlit.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:593] FW:

Response from Brenda Logan
Director of School Reform Initiatives
National Center for Family Literacy (NCFL)

I would like to attempt to answer several topics/questions that have been
raised about implementation of family literacy services in the elementary
school setting.  I speak from experiences as an elementary classroom
teacher, an elementary school principal whose school provided family
literacy services for the community and one who has worked with 45 family
literacy programs in Title I elementary schools across the country in my
work with NCFL.

An article I wrote for the November 1999 Momentum can be found on the NCFL
website www.famlit.org.  What was written in that article remains true today
but we have evidence from research collected from those 45 school programs
that family literacy is making a difference in elementary schools.  It is
not an easy process.  It does take time to orchestrate.  But family literacy
services connect children, parents and schools in a different kind of way.

We began implementation of family literacy in these schools realizing many
of the concerns posted today and we addressed these issues as we provided
professional development for these school districts.  It is a fact that you
do have to have "district" support for the initiative.  Your principal does
have to be a champion for family literacy.  Your school staff does have to
be on board and your elementary classroom teachers do have to understand the
very positive results that can result for them .  Your parent population has
to understand how this initiative can positively affect them.  All this
takes planning on the front end to yield the kinds of results that you are
seeking.

An article which will appear in the January NCFL publication Momentum and
written by a principal at one of our 45 school sites states the following:

The task of implementing family literacy services in our school seemed very
arduous.  We knew as a school that we would have to change our thinking
about the way parents would be involved.  We understood the four components
and felt that Parent and Child Together (PACT) Time would be the greatest
challenge but would also be the catalyst to make the other components fall
into place.  We all agreed on the following guidelines upfront:
-PACT Time will be the central focus of the program
-All teachers in the building must be given the opportunity to participate
-All parents in the program must be involved in PACT Time
-PACT will be four hours per week for each parent
-Parents must be willing to learn the teaching strategies used in the
classroom
-Parents must debrief PACT with the adult teacher

Other guidelines included:
-All faculty and staff will be trained in implementation and integration of
the four components
-We will establish by-in from all players
-We will have a recruiting fair to share information with community/parents
-We will meet with interested parents who want to commit to the program
-We will hold a training for parents and explain the four components of
family literacy

Tony Covarrubia, former principal at Summit View in Tucson, further stated
that family literacy became a critical part of the school's focus and it
made a positive difference in each child and parent involved.

This scenario has been repeated in many of the schools where we have worked
and we have seen whole school cultures change.  Title I principals are
saying this is the first "true" parent involvement initiative that has
meaningfully connected parents to the school.  Classroom teachers are seeing
the value in PACT Time and extending PACT to involve other parents.  One
district superintendent has stated that she would like to see family
literacy services offered in all the Title I schools in the district.

It is exciting to see what is happening in these schools with this
initiative.  Data collected by NCFL from teachers of family literacy
students across the nation give convincing evidence that student achievement
and student behavior are being positively affected because of the
comprehensive involvement of the parent in the program.  This is what
classroom teachers need to hear.

Brenda W. Logan
Director of School Reform Initiatives
National Center for Family Literacy