[NIFL-FAMILY:561] Re: Barriers to Family Literacy

From: LVAALBION@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 12:42:42 EST

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:42:42 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: LVAALBION@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:561] Re: Barriers to Family Literacy

While I agree with your perspective on libraries, especially when some
students/clients are not treated well (we have had some tutors report on this
to our staff) by the library staff.  This is why it is important to have a
good working relationship with the library director(s).  They want everyone
to feel free to access their library.

I also want to remind that not every literacy  agency is located in a
library.  We do utilize the space/services, but usually only for  tutoring
and obtaining materials for lessons.

I want to thank the people who wrote about the libraries.  These places are
for everyone, and are sometimes not at the forefront of our thinking.