[NIFL-WORKPLACE:787] RE: new Workplace list moderator: Hello!

From: Fiona Frank (fionafrank@soundboard.f9.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 16:51:37 EST

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:51:37 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Fiona Frank" <fionafrank@soundboard.f9.co.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WORKPLACE:787] RE: new Workplace list moderator: Hello!

Dear All

On the occasion of Barb's departure I just wanted to thank her and to
say how much I have got out of the list over the last 8 years ... It was
nearly the first thing I found when I first got email and access to the
Web in 1995 or so....and I have made some really good contacts and
friends through the list over the years.  It's amazing through this
technology how you can pick out odd sentences that 'resonate', and have
immediate, personal contact with the authors by email in a way you can't
do with an academic publication...  So thanks especially to Barb, and
also Paul Jurmo, David Rosen, Linda Shohet, Anne Lootyens, Sue
Folinsbee, Tom Sticht, and all of you in fact, for helping me to remain
international in my involvement with workplace basic skills work between
1995 and 2003.  I left the Workplace Basic Skills Network at Lancaster
University last January and am now pursuing other research interests.
(I'm  doing a PhD at the Centre for Jewish Studies at Manchester
University, in 'Jewish Immigration to Glasgow and transmission of
culture through the generations' - I'd be very interested in hearing
from anyone, anywhere, with Scottish Jewish heritage by the way.)  But I
still subscribe to the list for 'old times sake' and because I'm still
doing some on-line teaching at Lancaster University so still need to
keep in contact with the 'workplace' field.

So welcome and good luck to Donna and good luck to all subscribers in
continuing with this - increasingly mainstreamed, at least in the UK -
work!

Best wishes

Fiona Frank
Former Director, Workplace Basic Skills Network.
Now: Honorary research fellow, Department of Educational Research,
Lancaster University
And PhD Student, Centre for Jewish Studies, Manchester Uni.
For info on the Workplace Basic Skills Network at Lancaster University,
and its Professional Development and networking activities for workplace
basic skills professionals and other stakeholders in the UK, contact
Jaine Chisholm Caunt, Director of Operations, email
j.chisholm-caunt@lancaster.ac.uk, or see http://www.lancs.ac.uk/wbsnet