[NIFL-HEALTH:4111] Re: home/remedies/cultural/beliefs

From: james phillips (jphilip@tenet.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 16:36:03 EDT

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:36:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: james phillips <jphilip@tenet.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4111] Re: home/remedies/cultural/beliefs

Unfortunatley, when I'm chatting with Spanish teachers across the country on one of
the major listservs, they don't mention much about Mexican Spanish.  Right now the
topics are how to celebrate 'dia de los muertos.'  I've mentioned to them, even last
year, that relatives in Gto haven't heard about it and never celebrated it.  In
fact, no one has hardly mentioned '16 de septiembre.'

A couple of interesting words from Gto that I remember are 'parian' for 'mercado'
and 'gambusino'.  Gambusinos are those who come to mexico and become prospectors and
they look like real  miners.

The DEA translator company is hiring here again soon.  It really takes someone from
this area and culture to transcribe and then translate into English.  The 'pa',
'pos', 'fuites', 'ansina' and pachuquismos(chota, simon, chale, calcos, etc)  and
all other linguistic oddities.

My next big project is to keep a log and when speaking Spanish, if I can't remember
a word or phrase, I want to write it down and see if there's a pattern.  El Norte is
no longer available online and now I read the Reforma from DF.  The best source for
newspapers is www.lanic.utexas.edu.
jp