[NIFL-HEALTH:4105] home/remedies/cultural/beliefs

From: james phillips (jphilip@tenet.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 19:17:08 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:17:08 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: james phillips <jphilip@tenet.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4105] home/remedies/cultural/beliefs

You may have seen my web page “El Consultorio” at
http://www.stcc.cc.tx.us/library/guides/elconsultorio.htm or at the old
URL and wondered ‘what’s that for or who needs that list, there’s no
links or what was ol’ Jimbo thinking when he made that list public.’

I collected many words and expressions from interviews of folks residing
in this region and northeastern Mexico.  But, they heard and used across
Mexico.  The list wasn’t really intended for medical librarians.  It’s
more for translators and students of the Spanish language who take an
occupational Spanish course, like medical Spanish.

The expression I used as an example to get folks to feel free talking to
me was ‘sangre de chango.’  Literally, it means ‘monkey blood’. But,
it’s used to refer to ‘iodine.’  Surprisingly, the collection turned out
to be mostly home remedies and cultural beliefs.  There’s even Mexican
Indian words.  They’re not slang or archaisms or made-up words.

Every week I receive criticisms of the list.  Translators write and say
that’s not the definition they know when challenging a definition.
Medical librarians write and mention that some of those seem dangerous
to suggest someone try.  But, they miss the point.  They’re not for
someone to try instead of visiting a clinic or physician. A Spanish high
school teacher, who uses the list,  wrote last year and stated that he
was the local hospital volunteer translator.  But, he stated that he
realized that he was not a trained medical Spanish translator and
encountered many translating difficulties My sister-in-law told me that
those words and expressions were what poor people say and use.  Sure
they are!.  Everybody here knows that.  If poor people had access to
health care and were health literate, they wouldn’t resort to these
remedies.  Or visit they local curandero.

40% of the migrants and 40% of the farmworkers of Texas live in the
county, Hidalgo, where I’m at right now as I write.  They spend time
across the country seeking employment.  Many use these home remedies and
cultural beliefs.  Medical librarians probably don’t have them as
patrons.  And, neither do most other librarians.  Or, health care
providers.  This also true for the international migrants passing
through here from Central America.  They’re called ‘transmigrantes’ and
many come from the Honduras.  There’s the start of another list of home
remedies and cultural beliefs.

I’d like to hear from you.  Let me know what you think.
James Phillips, MLS
Librarian
South Texas Community College
Dr. Ramiro R. Casso Nursing and Allied Health Center
1101 East Vermont
McAllen, Texas 78501
956-683-3121
956-683-3190 (fax)