[NIFL-HEALTH:3870] Older Adult Literacy

From: Lora Taylor (ltaylor@uwm.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 12:54:34 EST

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:54:34 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lora Taylor" <ltaylor@uwm.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3870] Older Adult Literacy

Hi,

If anyone is aware of recommendations and/or materials geared toward
literacy levels and ability of older adult learners I would gladly
appreciate hearing about them.

Here are a few helpful resources I have already found:
1.   "Talking With Your Doctor:  A Guide For Older People"
www.nia.nih.gov/health/pubs/talking
2.  "In Other Words...Making It Work...Selecting Health Care Brochures
for Older Adults"  By Helen Osborne, Health Literacy Consulting

Thank you.
Lora

Lora Taylor MBA, MPH, RD
Director
Partnerships for Healthy Milwaukee
University Wisconsin - Milwaukee
College of Health Sciences
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI  53201
Ph:  414.229.2961
Mobile:  414.430.3071
ltaylor@uwm.edu

>>> jkeenan@erols.com 01/15/03 07:25PM >>>
Hi Louise--First off, it is great that you are developing these needed
awareness/prevention  materials. And you are doing pre-testing to
boot.
Kudos to you!

While I rely on and like using focus groups when testing health
concepts and
designs, my experience shows me that using one-on-one interviews is
most
effective to check for comprehension with folks who have limited
health
literacy.

I find the interview approach allows folks to read at their own pace,
stay
off the "hot seat" and avoid being swayed by other folks in a group.
Just my
two cents. I wish you well with your project.

With regards,
Jann Keenan

Jann Keenan, Ed.S.
President, The Keenan Group Inc.- Experts in Health Literacy
www.keenangroupinc.com
9862 Century Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21042
410-480-9716
Founding member of the Clear Language Group