[NIFL-HEALTH:3869] RE: Focus-testing- might try interviewing

From: Jann Keenan (jkeenan@erols.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 20:26:04 EST

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:26:04 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jann Keenan" <jkeenan@erols.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3869] RE: Focus-testing- might try interviewing

Hi Louise--First off, it is great that you are developing these needed
awareness/prevention  materials. And you are doing pre-testing to boot.
Kudos to you!

While I rely on and like using focus groups when testing health concepts and
designs, my experience shows me that using one-on-one interviews is most
effective to check for comprehension with folks who have limited health
literacy.

I find the interview approach allows folks to read at their own pace, stay
off the "hot seat" and avoid being swayed by other folks in a group. Just my
two cents. I wish you well with your project.

With regards,
Jann Keenan

Jann Keenan, Ed.S.
President, The Keenan Group Inc.- Experts in Health Literacy
www.keenangroupinc.com
9862 Century Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21042
410-480-9716
Founding member of the Clear Language Group