[NIFL-HEALTH:4044] Health Information Literacy - a definition

From: Erica Burnham (erica.burnham@mcgill.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 11:03:58 EDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:03:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Erica Burnham" <erica.burnham@mcgill.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4044] Health Information Literacy - a definition

The Medical Library Association Task Force on Health Information
Literacy is struggling with definitions. We are familiar with several
definitions of health literacy, but our goal is to define health
*information* literacy, and the librarian's role in this area. Is there
a difference between "health literacy" and "health information
literacy"?

We would very much appreciate any comments and suggestions to improve
what we have so far. Please send your comments directly to me.

Our working definition is as follows:

Health Information Literacy is the set of knowledge and skills needed
to:
.	recognize a health information need;

.	identify likely information sources in an appropriate format and
use them to retrieve relevant information;

.	assess the quality of the information and its applicability to a
specific situation;

.	analyze, understand, and synthesize the information; and

.	apply the information to make good health decisions.
[Medical Library Association, 2003]

Thanks for your help,

Erica

Erica Burnham