[NIFL-HEALTH:3861] Re: library resources

From: Sandy Diehl (Sandy.Diehl@coastalahec.org)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 16:27:07 EST

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:27:07 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sandy Diehl" <Sandy.Diehl@coastalahec.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3861] Re: library resources

Charles,

What a wonderful project!  I agree that health and literacy partnerships are powerful.  I wanted to share with the group a project called 'Expecting the Best' which is a health/adult education partnership.

Expecting the Best is designed to teach adults about health and wellness through ESL classes administered by our Community College system.  Classes focus on health care, nutrition, and exercise/fitness, and are intended to improve health literacy, functional literacy, and communication skills.  We are currently developing and piloting lessons, and plan to offer the curriculum statewide by 2004.

Expecting the Best is a collaborative effort between the North Carolina Community College System, the Division of Public Health in the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Coastal AHEC, and the March of Dimes.   Feel free to email me at sandy.diehl@coastalahec.org if you have questions or would like more information.

Sandy Diehl, MPH
Project Director
Coastal Area Health Education Center
Wilmington, NC 28402-9025

>>> cmoody@nald.ca 01/07/03 10:42PM >>>
I too am interested in "classic health literacy resources". I am reading
these responses with great interest. Please share any comments with us all.

I am the manager and consultant for a literacy and health project in
Manitoba, Canada, which will bring literacy and health people together in a
series of 15 training sessions across our province. In preparation for this
project, I am reading everything I can find, and I'm convinced that
establishing partnerships between health institutions and literacy programs
is the way to go. I'm particularly impressed with the Participatory Action
Research model. I would welcome any comments and resources. If you're
interested, you can read about our project at www.health.mb.literacy.ca

Charles Moody,
Literacy Partners of Manitoba