[NIFL-HEALTH:3867] Focus-testing- Hoping for assistance

From: Louise A. Schoggen (las15@health.state.ny.us)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 10:26:35 EST

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:26:35 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Louise A. Schoggen" <las15@health.state.ny.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3867] Focus-testing- Hoping for assistance

Hello all,

I develop educational materials about HIV/AIDS for the New York State
Department of Health AIDS Institute. We have been working hard to make all
of our materials more readable and to make more low-literacy pieces
available. Currently, we are developing a new pamphlet with basic HIV/AIDS
information for low-literacy readers. It's a prevention/awareness piece,
aimed at adults who are HIV-negative or who do not know their HIV status.

As part of our development process, we focus-test materials with members of
the intended target audience. I was wondering if anyone on the list leads a
class or support group made up of individuals with limited literacy skills
and would be interested in helping me focus-test this piece. Basically, I
would come to the class/group, explain who I am and why I want their help,
ask the participants to read the piece, and then lead a structured
discussion to get their feedback. In my experience, participants usually
enjoy the focus group and are pleased to be able to have an impact on what
we produce. Certainly, it is invaluable to us--the focus groups always lead
to improvements we never would have thought of.

We're hoping to conduct the focus group in February. If this is something
you think your class/group would enjoy, please contact me directly at
las15@health.state.ny.us

Thanks!
Louise Schoggen