Research Menu

Re: run_init and interactive scripts

From: Manoj Srivastava <manoj.srivastava_at_stdc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:53:50 -0600

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:51:31 -0500, Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil> said:

> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 13:39, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> This is because I was putting the users terminal into raw mode, and
>> that also turns off output processing. So, in the following patch
>> I introduce a function called tty_semi_raw, which is just like raw
>> mode, except we retain output processing. This is still fine for
>> things like aptitude and dselect, and makes the non-curses
>> applicationss look OK (like so)
>> Shutting down mimedefang: [ OK ] Shutting down
>> mimedefang-multiplexor: [ OK ] ....
>>
>> This is an incremental patch in addition to the one I sent 12 hours
>> or so ago, which had the fflush stderr fixes. Please apply.
> Hmmm...I now get erratic behavior, sometimes only getting the first
> line of output (Stopping sshd: [ OK ]), sometimes getting the first
> line and the prefix of the second line, but still not the complete
> output.  And this behavior occurs under permissive mode as well, so
> it isn't related to any permissions.  Reverting this latest patch, I
> at least get consistent output, only losing the final OK status.

	That is strange, seeing that the only changes in that patch
 were _adding_ fflush statements.

        This is on a non-Se-Linux machine, I did this 5 times in a row

__> open_init_pty /etc/init.d/mimedefang restart
Shutting down mimedefang:                                   [  OK  ]
Shutting down mimedefang-multiplexor:                       [  OK  ]
Waiting for daemons to exit.......
Starting mimedefang-multiplexor:                            [  OK  ]
Starting mimedefang:                                        [  OK  ]
__> open_init_pty /etc/init.d/mimedefang restart
Shutting down mimedefang:                                   [  OK  ]
Shutting down mimedefang-multiplexor:                       [  OK  ]
Waiting for daemons to exit.....
Starting mimedefang-multiplexor:                            [  OK  ]
Starting mimedefang:                                        [  OK  ]

	I am attaching the full open_init_pty.c file below; I've
 tested this as extensively as I can on a number of Debian machines.

        manoj

--
It may be bad manners to talk with your mouth full, but it isn't too
good either if you speak when your head is empty.