Research Menu

Re: Multiple contexts

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:27:16 -0500

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 13:29, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> i don't believe it does - or i am misunderstanding.
>
> having two policy files apache.fc and mymodifiedthing.fc which _both_
> have a file context for the same file / directory, such that the
> data that ends up in the security.selinux xattr is "apache_filetype_t,
> "mymodifiedthing_filetype_t" doesn't mean, in my book "policy is in
> filesystem state".
>
> ... does it?
>
> *lost*.

The file_contexts configuration is not part of the kernel policy. It is only used by userspace to set the contexts for files upon installation, to recheck the state of the filesystem against the initial labeling state, or to restore portions of the filesystem to the initial labeling state.

If you change the SELinux module to support a list of file contexts within the security.selinux attribute, and change its policy engine to allow access if any access is allowed to any one of those contexts, then the only way to truly identify what information flow is possible in the system is by checking the current security.selinux attributes of all files in the system for such combinations and collapsing them to a single security equivalence class for analysis purposes. Think: policy says allow P1 F1:file read; allow P2 F2:file write;, policy analysis says that there is no allowed information flow from P2 to P1, but someone does a chcon -t F1,F2 foobar and now P2 can write to foobar and P1 can read from it, so information flow is now possible. If you want to control information flow throughout the system to prevent leakage of information or to protect trusted processes against being corrupted by untrustworthy input, you can't ignore the issue.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency