Research

Re: mv and cp behavior.

From: Nifty Hat Mitch <mitch48_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:40:09 -0700

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 01:43:56PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 13:14 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
>
> > Ok, but if you were able to use chcon to set the type in the first
> > place, then you presumably are able to use it after moving files there
> > in Dan's example scenario.
>
> Right; this was just a related issue, not quite the same thing as Dan's
> Yeah. I'm kind of curious why Dan wrote the dhcp.conf in /tmp and later
> moved it to /etc; I'd imagine most admins would just
> $EDITOR /etc/dhcp.conf.

I am not sure why Dan would but, in a large site administration context I might expect that that "$EDITOR /etc/dhcp.conf" is not permitted. Some places want to have testing, approval and change log policy.

Something like these untested lines.
  scp approved-new-dhcp.conf user@keyhost:~/approved-new-dhcp.conf

  ssh user@keyhost sudo mv /etc/dhcp.conf /etc/dhcp.conf.save`date +%s`
  ssh user@keyhost sudo mv ~/approved-new-dhcp.conf /etc/dhcp.conf
  ssh user@keyhost sudo service dhcpd reload

Anyhow some staged approval process with an audit trail....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy