Research Menu

Re: cdrecord deadlocks linux 2.6.8.1 (problem in setscheduler)

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:52:19 -0400

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 14:36, James Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Chris Wright wrote:
>
> > > Hmmm...may have spoken too soon; looks like audit_log_end_irq can
> > > deadlock too when the runqueue lock is held. Only option is to disable
> > > auditing of CAP_SYS_NICE and setscheduler? Very unpleasant.
> >
> > I assume this is due to wakeup code putting smth. on the runqueue?
>
> This shouldn't happen from interrupt.

setscheduler() isn't being called from interrupt. I changed the SELinux setscheduler hook to call a wrapper function to use audit_log_irq_end(), and exercising it immediately deadlocked the system. audit_log_irq_end() -> tasklet_schedule() -> raise_softirq_irqoff() -> wakeup_softirqd() -> wake_up_process() is my current working guess, couldn't get a dump after the lockup. No response to sysrq-t.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency