Research

RE: transition failure

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:14:06 -0500

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 09:56, Kratzer, James R. wrote:
> Thanks Russ. I was not aware of the constraints. I'm am using "runcon"
> because when I use "run_init" I get the following error:
>
> execvp: Permission Denied
>
> I forgot to mention previously that the "runcon" command gives this same
> error as well along with the "avc: denied { transition }" message.
>
> BTW, these errors only occur with enforcing=1 as run_init and runcon execute
> swatch just fine with enforcing=0.
> What does execvp mean?

execvp(3) is a library function that is a front-end for execve(2); run_init calls it to execute the script. The most likely cause for failure here is that the type on the /etc/rc.d/init.d/swatchd script is wrong; it needs to have the initrc_exec_t type. Try 'chcon -t initrc_exec_t /etc/init.d/swatchd'.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency