Research Menu

Re: SELinux and non-ext[23] file systems

From: Harald von Fellenberg - Sun Switzerland Zurich - Technology Strategy Office <Harald.Von-Fellenberg_at_sun.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:15:17 +0100 (MET)

IT WORKS ON REISERFS!!! Why did you not tell me before ... :-)
I will now invest my brain cycles on making the utils compile under Suse 7.x

Thanks and regards

Harald
PS here my patch :-)

  • setfiles/Makefile.orig Wed Jul 18 22:38:11 2001 +++ setfiles/Makefile Mon Nov 19 16:19:18 2001 @@ -9,6 +9,7 @@

 relabel: $(FILECONTEXTS) setfiles

        ./setfiles $(FILECONTEXTS) `mount | awk '/ext2/{print $$3}'`
+       ./setfiles $(FILECONTEXTS) `mount | awk '/reiserfs/{print $$3}'`
        touch relabel

 install: relabel

Technology Strategy Office wrote:

>> This said, I would like to re-raise the importance of non-ext2 file system
>> support, notably ReiserFS. It has been pointed out before, by Stephen
Smalley,
>> that this should in principle be easy to integrate (the per-node sec context
>> needs to be stored in a file rather than in an unused field of the on-disk
inode
>> structure). However, I am not aware of anyone tackling this implementation.
>
>Only the original SELinux prototype was limited to the ext2 filesystem,
>due to the use of a spare field in the on-disk ext2 inode to store the
>persistent security identifier (PSID). When we transitioned to LSM, we
>extended the persistent label mapping to maintain the inode-to-PSID
>mapping as a regular file because LSM does not provide filesystem-specific
>hooks. Hence, the LSM-based SELinux prototype should be able to use
>ReiserFS, although we haven't tried it.
>
>--
>Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
>ssmalley@nai.com
>

>--
>You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.

 Dr. Harald von Fellenberg
 Chief Technologist Global Sales Organisation
 Tel:    +41 1 908 9230    Sun Microsystems (Schweiz) AG
 Fax:    +41 1 908 9001    Javastr. 2
 Mobile: +41 79 349 0393   CH-8604 Volketswil
 mailto:harald.von-fellenberg@sun.com
--
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.