Research Menu

Re: Fedora Core 7 has frozen and Fedora 8 Development has started

From: Paul Moore <paul.moore_at_hp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:43:09 -0400

On Monday, May 21 2007 3:15:24 pm Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Klaus Weidner wrote:
> > On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 04:59:55PM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> >> This is a good time to get experimental code/updates into the rawhide
> >> stream.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Others???
> >
> > I haven't seen MCS mentioned much recently, is anyone working on that at
> > this time? Back at the 2006 SELinux symposium there were plans to
> > integrate category support in file managers and maybe other user tools,
> > to make it more suitable for everyday use by non-experts.
> >
> > -Klaus
>
> We switched to using the entire context. There has been some arguments
> over the value of
> MCS versus better support for Type Enforcement in general.

If I recall correctly, there was some chatter about creating a more generic translation facility so that we could translate the entire SELinux context, versus the MLS range which we do now, into a more human readable label. I believe doing something like this would help achieve some of the goals that Klaus hinted at with the "make it more suitable for everyday use by non-experts". It would also help to reinforce the notion that the context is a blob and in general shouldn't be parsed by applications that don't know what they are doing.

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp