Research

Re: Patch to cleanup audit handling in policy.

From: Karl MacMillan <kmacmillan_at_mentalrootkit.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:16:58 -0400

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 12:17 +0000, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 13:18 -0400, Karl MacMillan wrote:

> > > Its always been the definition of an interface.
> > >

> > Great - so why has that always been the definition
>
> Not sure how you can ask that since interfaces providing access to a
> module's private resource is a fundamental principle.

I agree that interfaces are the only way to provide access to a modules types, but I don't think that is their only purpose. They are also for grouping and organizing related access.

> > and what is the
> > motivation for separating the patterns and the interfaces in this
> > circumstance. What value does this provide to the policy writer?
>
> Indeed that is a good question, which is why I said it was compelling in
> the other thread.

I would suggest that for most of the patterns they don't have any other logical grouping - the access being allowed is private to the module.

These audit rules seem different. The access is really about allowing a domain access to the audit subsystem. It is not simply private access that cannot be further grouped. That the access is allowed purely via permissions on module private types is an unimportant implementation detail.

So, taking the broader definition of interfaces as grouping related access, it seems natural to make these audit interfaces and put them in logging.if.

Karl