Research Menu

Re: Where to specific the handling of unknown kernel classes and perms

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 08:46:34 -0400

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 20:46 -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
> Eric Paris wrote:
> > I just sent out a kernel patch with the tristate flag to change kernel
> > handling of unknown classes and permissions. The idea is that when the
> > policy is created someone can set the flag to any of the three options
> > (deny/reject/allow) and the kernel will act accordingly. My problem is
> > I don't understand the userspace tools which create policy. I patched
> > libsepol to support this new flag when it reads or writes a policydb,
> > which allows me to edit my policy.21 by hand in hex and then call
> > load_policy to test my kernel. My problem now is that I don't know
> > where a user should be specifying how they want the flags to be set. To
> > be perfectly honest after a bit of searching I'm not even sure where
> > policy.21 gets created when I build a policy.
> >

> It should be setable in semanage.conf or by checkpolicy if building a
> monolithic policy.

Hmm...actually, I would have argued that it should only be settable by checkpolicy/checkmodule, and always inherited from the base module in the link/expand case. That way we can always know what the kernel behavior is by looking at the base module, vs. having to separately look at semanage.conf. It is a tradeoff though in terms of analyzability vs. ease of customization.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency