Research Menu

Re: Patch to cleanup audit handling in policy.

From: Karl MacMillan <kmacmillan_at_mentalrootkit.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 11:21:04 -0400

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 13:31 +0000, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 20:49 -0400, Karl MacMillan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 16:53 +0000, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 07:59 -0700, Steve G wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > > This is the reason policy patterns exist.
> > >

> > So far the policy patterns have been very hard to automatically generate
> > using sepolgen. Note that this deficiency is not something that I can
> > address - it is a problem with the patterns themselves.
>
> I don't see how it could be any more complex than matching rules to an
> interface.

/research/selinux/list-archive/0701/18939.shtml

Summary - patterns that contain unrelated types cannot be reliably generated. This - to me - is a major drawback. Whether that will apply here is not clear.

> > Given that and
> > my concerns over their clarity I would prefer that no more patterns be
> > introduced.
> >
> > Can I ask why you are so against these audit interfaces and would prefer
> > patterns?
>
> I don't agree with the assertions which means the attributes are
> dropped, so that just leaves the rules, which don't refer to any types
> in the logging module. They only refer to resources in the current
> module (all self rules), so its not an interface, its a pattern.

I think that distinction is not useful to a policy writer. As a policy writer I think it would be natural to look for audit interfaces in logging - by making these patterns they are harder to find.

So - why make this distinction?

Karl