Research Menu

Re: Interface for DOI mapping

From: Paul Moore <paul.moore_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:49:39 -0500

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 12:10:15 pm Casey Schaufler wrote:
> which brings up the question of who does the translation.
> I suggest that the receiver always do the mapping and that the
> sender always speaks it's native DOI.

You've got more experience in this area than I do, but I would think that offering translations about on the sender and receiver would be necessary to handle both new hosts (systems that support multiple DOIs through translation) as well as legacy hosts (systems that only support a single DOI). In the case of a receiver that supports DOI translation, I agree, it probably is best for the sender to send data using it's default/native DOI and let the receiver translate as necessary. However, if the receiver does not understand multiple DOIs it will be necessary for the sender to ensure that data sent to the receiver it sent with the receiver's DOI; requiring the use of sender side DOI translation in certain cases.

In either case, I think a properly designed and configured system would only want to perform the translation once. Although there shouldn't be anything preventing someone for configuring the translation to happen on both ends if that is what they really want.

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp