Research Menu

Re: Interface for DOI mapping

From: Paul Moore <paul.moore_at_hp.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:16:02 -0500

On Monday 03 December 2007 3:32:45 pm Dave Quigley wrote:
> With help from Neil I have the actual daemon code working for DOI
> translations. Now I have to come up with an interface for allowing an
> LSM to specify its translations. Either in the form of a separate
> library or in the daemon code itself I intend to dlopen a shared library
> and make calls into it. The question is what functionality do we want
> here and where should it be placed.
>
> In the long run it would be nice to have a server which maintains the
> mappings for all of the clients in its domain similar to kerberos.
> However the client also needs to be able to operate without such a
> server.
>
> If you have suggestions for this feel free to make them now while I am
> still designing this.

The first question that immediately springs to mind is "which DOI?" I know you are currently focused on labeled NFS and how to translate file labels between different MAC implementations but I think it is worthwhile to broaden the scope of the DOI translation effort. I know that both CIPSO and labeled IPsec have DOI attributes and a proper DOI translation mechanism could have benefits here too. There are probably others (labeled X? labeled databases?) but I'm not knowledgeable enough in those areas to say for certain.

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp