Research Menu

Re: Desktop apps interoperability

From: Casey Schaufler <casey_at_schaufler-ca.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:51:16 -0800 (PST)

  • Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 08:05 -0800, Casey Schaufler
    > wrote:
    > > Look here, sonny, I've been doing MLS systems
    > > since 1986 and the One Truth You Must Learn
    > > is that applications can not be changed. No.
    > > Don't even consider thinking in this direction.
    > > This is wrong. Sometimes all that's available
    > > is the binary. Sometimes they like the way it
    > > works.
    >
    > Ah, yes. That's certainly the example we should be
    > following...the
    > example set by past trusted/MLS OSes.

Oooooh! Sarcasm!

Existing MLS systems allow unprivileged
applications to run unmodified. In at least one case that included an unmodified X server. You have to do at least as well as the unix MLS systems to be credible. You think that's a low bar, so you shouldn't have any trouble, right?

> No thanks,
> we're trying to solve
> real problems here...

Ah, and the horse you rode in on.