Research Menu

Re: sysadm home label

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:11:40 -0500

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 00:09 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> Hi, I've noticed that every time I try to run any nontrivial app
> that writes to $HOME as root, it causes pure chaos on my system.
> That brings me to my two questions:
>
> 1) Why is /root labeled staff_home_dir_t, and its content staff_home_t
> Why is it not sysadm_home_dir_t, and sysadm_home_t?

I think that this happened when genhomedircon was introduced, as it simply generates the types based on the first role listed in the users file for the user. Hence, you could move sysadm_r first in the list for root to cause genhomedircon to instead apply sysadm_home*_t to /root. However, you would then need to decide what if anything you want to do about appconfig/root_default_contexts, as gdm and sshd logins by root currently default to staff_t and will thus encounter denials (likely fatal for a gdm session, but not for sshd - you can then just newrole to sysadm_r). Of course, gdm and sshd logins by root aren't such a good idea anyway...

> 2) If it should stay at staff_home_t, why can't I typealias
> staff_home_t and staff_home_dir_t to sysadm_home_t/sysadm_home_dir_t.

Right, if /root stays staff_home*_t, then sysadm_home*_t is unused and the dontaudit rules for it should be remapped to staff_home*_t.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency