Research Menu

Re: [patch] checkpolicy cleanups

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:10:23 -0500

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 23:50 -0500, Joshua Brindle wrote:
> Will libsepol be made to work on non-Linux platforms, since that is
> where all the meat of checkpolicy is now anyway? This would be nice
> since modules should basically work afterwards.

What part of libsepol doesn't work on non-Linux platforms? The checkpolicy changes are just to drop out the netlink class dependency, which was Linux-specific; libsepol doesn't have such a dependency presently (but see below).

> Also I know on SEBSD, at least, the binary format has changed somewhat
> which may make the current format compatibility scheme inadequate.

I think that they may have reverted back to our format (splitting classes rather than extending the access vector), but am not completely certain. There was some discussion of that earlier.

> It is interesting that we hadn't already done that. As it stands an
> automatically downgraded policy loaded into a pre-fine grained netlink
> kernel will not have netlink rules and will deny everything right?

Yes, it would deny all accesses to netlink sockets. But this would only happen on a kernel <= 2.6.7 (before the introduction of the fine-grained netlink class support in 2.6.8), so it isn't clear it matters in practice for anyone. And someone who is still using 2.6.7 or earlier should likely be using an older policy anyway (that still uses the single netlink class).

I don't think it is worth introducing the netlink compatibilty "hack" into libsepol, and doing so would create the same problem there for non-Linux platforms.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency