Research Menu

Re: problems using setcon()

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:37:08 -0500

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 22:55 -0500, Kodungallur Varma wrote:
> the following setconexample.c(attachment) really did help me,
> but I have one more issue. I dont have the context_str() function.

What do you mean? It is defined in libselinux. You do need to link with -lselinux, obviously, e.g.

        gcc -lselinux -o setconexample setconexample.c context_str() is defined in libselinux/src/context.c, along with the other context functions.

> installed the 2.6.11.5 kernel and tried to apply patches mentioned in
> the NSA website.

Any kernel >= 2.6.11 should be fine for using setcon().

> I updated to the checkpolicy-1.22, libselinux-1.22,
> policycoreutils-1.22, ibsepol-1.4. I dont know if I am supposed to
> upgrade to the above.

You only needed to have a libselinux that included setcon. Not sure whether the stock FC3 libselinux included it or not. You didn't need to update the rest.

> I wanted to update to apply the patch-2.6.11.6.
> but I could not execute it and I dont know how to apply it.

They are relative to 2.6.11, right?

> I wonder
> why I dont have just the context_str().

Yes, that doesn't make any sense to me either.

> also, when I make load from the directory
> /etc/selinux/strict/src/policy/, I have the following errors:
>
> Validating file_contexts ...
> /usr/sbin/setfiles -q -c /etc/selinux/strict/policy/policy.19
> /etc/selinux/strict/contexts/files/file_contexts
> /usr/sbin/load_policy /etc/selinux/strict/policy/policy.19
> sepol_genusers: Can't load system.users: No such file or directory
> /usr/sbin/load_policy: Error while setting user configuration from
> /etc/selinux/strict/users//{local.users,system.users}: No such file
> or directory
> /usr/sbin/load_policy: security_load_policy failed
> make: *** [tmp/load] Error 3
>
> why is the above occuring??

You updated checkpolicy, libsepol and policycoreutils but didn't update your policy. Bad idea. Either update your policy or roll back the others.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency