Research Menu

Re: concerns about object-inheritance wrt files/directories

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:45:48 -0500

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 13:50 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> for file types, i have a major concern.
>
> if not careful, we are going to be getting into the "multiple file
> types" thing again, which it has already been discussed that, whilst
> doable, has some hair-raising implications that make it too complex to
> a) understand for implementation purposes b) understand the resultant
> policy.

No, I think you misunderstood. The objection to multiple contexts on files is that you can't analyze the resulting policy without pulling in the entire filesystem state, and a modification to the filesystem state at any time can change the policy. What KaiGai is proposing is an extension to the policy language to allow certain relationships among types to be expressed more easily, with the policy compiler taking care of generating the necessary TE rules based on those relationships. Thus, analysis is still feasible based solely on the centralized policy configuration and changing the policy requires changing that configuration.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency