Research Menu

Re: Proposed patch to policy file_contexts

From: Karl MacMillan <kmacmillan_at_tresys.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:59:44 -0500

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 12:18, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 16:36, Karl MacMillan wrote:
> > Here is an updated version that writes all of the error messages to
> > stderr. There are 2 patches - the first is against the patch I sent
> > before and the other is the full version.
>
> The resulting file_contexts file maps /root entries to staff*_home_t
> rather than sysadm*_home_t. This is a general limitation of
> genhomedircon (not knowing which role to select when multiple ones are
> authorized), but the old one avoided the problem by skipping root and
> leaving the /root entries in the .fc files. Now, we could alter the
> ordering of roles for root in policy/users as a workaround; that
> shouldn't affect the default context as that is governed by
> /etc/security/default_contexts.

Our thinking was that root shouldn't be a special case and the ordering of the roles could take care of everything. I'm not clear why root should be labeled with sysadm*_home_t, though. Why not treat root like all of the other admins? Wouldn't labeling root with sysadm*_home_t make logging in as staff_r for root problematic (for example, when ssh logins are allowed for root).

Karl

--
Karl MacMillan
Tresys Technology