Research Menu

Re: [patch] checkpolicy cleanups

From: Joshua Brindle <jbrindle_at_tresys.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:50:51 -0500

Stephen Smalley wrote:
> Just FYI, a couple of cleanups have been committed to checkpolicy,
> attached below.
>
> First patch was based on patches submitted by George Coker and drops out
> the compatibility handling of netlink classes from checkpolicy as well
> as making fs_use optional. The motivation was to allow checkpolicy to
> work for non-Linux platforms where the netlink classes are meaningless.
Will libsepol be made to work on non-Linux platforms, since that is where all the meat of checkpolicy is now anyway? This would be nice since modules should basically work afterwards.

Also I know on SEBSD, at least, the binary format has changed somewhat which may make the current format compatibility scheme inadequate.

> I think that the compatibility code there is no longer necessary since
> the change occurred back in Linux 2.6.8, and it would only matter if you
> were trying to compile a newer policy source with the fine-grained
> netlink classes to a form useable by a 2.6.7 or older kernel. Also,
> even if we wanted to retain this remapping support, we would need to
> move it into libsepol to handle policy modules and automatic downgrading
> of policy upon policy load.

It is interesting that we hadn't already done that. As it stands an automatically downgraded policy loaded into a pre-fine grained netlink kernel will not have netlink rules and will deny everything right?