Research Menu

Re: learning about policies/transitions

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:28:28 -0500

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 12:07, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:38:33 -0500, Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil> wrote:
> > /etc/selinux/(strict|targeted)/policy/policy.NN under FC3. The question
> > is whether you are subsequently loading a different policy, possibly too
> > late, after /bin/login has already been looked up and brought incore.
>
> Alas no, the custom policy is in /etc/security/selinux/policy.17 (on a
> FC2 throwaway partition).

Not sure if I understand your meaning (FC2 throwaway partition?), but the above statement makes me wonder if you also have an /etc/security/selinux/policy.18 file, and whether /sbin/init is loading it instead. FC2 shipped with policy.17, then subsequent FC2 kernel updates yielded kernels that understood policy.18 (but still support policy.17 for backward compatibility) without corresponding updates to the policy tools and policy itself. /sbin/init will try to load the latest policy supported by the kernel, so if you have a policy.18, it will try to load it first, and failing that, it will fall back to policy.17. But you shouldn't have a policy.18 unless you grabbed a newer checkpolicy yourself from the NSA site or from the Fedora development tree.

In any event, migrating to FC3 is a good idea for continued use of SELinux, as the FC2 SELinux support was never well maintained.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency