Research

Re: The sort algorithm is broken by the second rule, We need a way to pin these rules to the top.

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:27:03 -0500

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 10:17 -0500, Joshua Brindle wrote:
> Please note that the sorting algorithm is very much heuristic and not
> perfect. In the discussions we've had around here about this we
> determined that the correct solution is to make the regexes more
> specific where possible.

In the old scheme (example policy build), types.fc always went first, followed by the program .fc files in arbitrary order, leaving the ordering as specified within each file, and the goal was to put most generic patterns only in types.fc (manually ordered by the policy writer based on his goal for prioritization) and to minimize use of regexes (particularly ones that were overly broad and lacked a reasonably specific stem) in the individual program .fc files. Not saying that we achieved that goal, but that was the approach.

Recent file_contexts seem to have _very_ broad regexes in an attempt to cover many variations, but I think that this isn't good for understanding.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency