Research

Re: AVC Decision Tree.

From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:03:43 -0500

Thorsten Scherf wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 14:51 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux/Troubleshooting/AVCDecisions#preview
>>
>> Trying to build a analysys tool to be able to translate avc messages
>> into possible boolean/file_context solutions.
>>
>> The idea is that we can look at the AVC messages that are generated and
>> figure out what the servers were trying to do. Then we can give some
>> advise to the administrator on the corrective measures. So what we are
>> looking for are expected code paths where there is a file context of
>> boolean available.
>>

> Usually if a AVC denied is fixed with a corresponding rule, the next AVC
> comes up in the log (allow getattr, after that ACV:denied read, and so
> on). Probably we don't want to annoy the administrator with several
> pop-ups coming up on his screen.
>
> What do you think about that?

Yes the idea would be to continue gathering all of the AVC's while the app is running. I do not believe they will be able close the window faster than the AVC MEssages. The app should have a disable button built in so that if their is a real labeling problem, it will not keep popping up. So we will have to watch our usability. :^) But hopefully there will not be a lot of AVC messages :^)

Dan