Research Menu

Re: dynamic context transitions

From: Russell Coker <russell_at_coker.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:48:57 +1100

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 01:16, Karl MacMillan <kmacmillan@tresys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 08:43 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 16:27, Karl MacMillan wrote:
> > > Dropping privileges after startup can already be accomplished with
> > > conditional policies, though it requires that only one process be
> > > running in a given domain.
> >
> > Not sure that this works well in practice, e.g. daemon restart is an
> > issue here, and as you note, it cannot distinguish among multiple
> > instances of the domain.
>
> It would certainly require some additional infrastructure and more
> invasive changes to init scripts, but it could be made to work. I think
> that others have raised the more important point - what real use case is
> there for this functionality?

If you were to use a boolean to set the access of a daemon to "startup" or "normal operation" then the big problem is to restart in the case that a process is still running.

If a running process has been cracked and does not have the same PID as the original copy then the stop script will not stop it. Then if the start script changes the boolean to temporarily grant extra access then that access will also be granted to the cracked process.