Research Menu

RE: dynamic context transitions

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:13:33 -0500

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 08:01, Frank Mayer wrote:
> True. The actual enforcement of the switch-in-hierarchy constraint could be
> enforced entirely within the policy compiler (a weak security enforcement, but
> strong convention enforcement), which eventually would be overcome by an actual
> running policy server (a strong security enforcement). However we could also
> design the kernel's context switching capability to understand name hierarchy,
> maintain upper bounds for processes, and enforce it strongly in the kernel
> (e.g., by using the starting type for a new process as its upper bound in a name
> hierarchy). The latter approach seems a stronger security mechanism, allowing
> much of what is desired while maintaining a great deal of conceptual commonality
> with the current tranquility model (IMHO).

That starts to move policy into the kernel mechanism. Consider the parallel for exec-based transitions; would we want the kernel mechanism for exec-based transitions to fundamentally limit the relationship between the old and new contexts? That is more like the POSIX.1e capability model, where you have a hardwired evolution logic for capabilities upon exec, but that leads to all kinds of problems, as one size doesn't fit all.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency