Research

Re: policy package names for Debian

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:37:06 -0400

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 10:50 -0400, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 09:57 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > > Neglecting the above, I still disagree with dropping a TE-only
> > > configuration. While you can arrive at the same configuration by having
> > > one category and one sensitivity and/or dropping the MLS constraints,
> > > you still get MLS bits leaking through, eg. in semanage.
> >
> > That's the point - the presence/absence of a context field is visible to
> > users and applications no matter how much we try to encapsulate the
> > contexts, and having the two different configurations makes maintenance
> > and user experience more difficult/confusing.
>
> I think the confusion is worse for the TE-only case (emulated by no mls
> constraints or only one category/sensitivity). For example, if you
> short circuit the level translation to "", then people get confused when
> their setexecon() fails because they haven't put :s0 at the end of the
> context, but none of their ps -AZ processes have it. Thats
> significantly more obtuse than people thinking "Fedora has that MCS
> stuff, and Ubuntu doesn't." There is always configuration/support
> variances between distros.

Ah, that's likely true. And people do find the difference between MCS and MLS confusing as it is.

> I'm not convinced many people actually use MCS at all. Users have a
> hard enough time dealing with TE. If it wasn't for MCS I don't think
> we'd even be having this discussion.

For me, the value of MCS is getting the MLS support adequately tested and supported throughout the distribution. That's about it.

The ideal scenario from a "mainstreaming MAC" perspective would be to have the real MLS constraints in place by default, and the only difference between the default setup and a MLS one would be whether one actually puts anything in any level other than s0. That would carry some cost from the constraint evaluation on compute_av calls, but that should be largely masked by the AVC. It shouldn't really affect memory or disk use as long as everything defaults to s0 and no categories.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency