Research Menu

Re: RH8 policy support

From: Brad Chapman <jabiru_croc_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:14:32 -0700 (PDT)

  • Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 22:50, Brad Chapman wrote:
    > > Does your policy work well (or mostly well) on RH8? I'm installing it soon
    >
    > My policy is little different from that which is in the Sourceforge CVS tree.

ACK

> > and would like to make your policy work with a minimum of fuss (i.e. it
> > takes less than three hours to edit the policy to make it work ;). Do you
> > know of any problems so far between your policy and RH8?
>
> I don't know. I have not had any need to install it on Red Hat.

I have. Besides, RH8 is a major new platform and a lot of people besides me may try to use SELinux on it.

> To get SE Linux running on Red Hat as well as it does on Debian the following
>
> needs to be done:
>
> Wrappers for rpm and related commands to run them in system_u:system_r .

I can certainly try this, but it will be ugly and evil and will need some major cleanups before going into the CVS.

> Support for relabelling files after installing a new RPM package.

How would you do that?

> Policy to make the install scripts start daemons in the correct domain.

What install scripts do you mean?

> Testing all this on standard operation of Red Hat machines to find
> differences
> from Debian and write policy and patches to programs to match.
>

> Probably about 3 months work should do it.
>
> As for getting basic functionality working, I don't know of anything in
> particular that'll stop it working, but RH 8 has enough new things that
> there's certain to be some relevant changes, probably more than 3 hours work
> will be required. But don't be deterred! This is fun!

I'm not deterred yet. After I eliminate most of the errors I'll post logs and patches; maybe after a while I'll be able to activate enforcing mode ;)

> --
> http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/ My NSA Security Enhanced Linux packages
> http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/ Bonnie++ hard drive benchmark
> http://www.coker.com.au/postal/ Postal SMTP/POP benchmark